Tips for Leaving the House on Time in the Morning
Getting the family out of the house, on time, with everything needed for the day, depends on a number of decisions and actions. Here are some secrets for success.
Reduce the number of decisions in the morning
- Get a complete set of clothes out and ready.
- Backpack, keys, phone, gym clothes, soccer cleats, violin ready in one place (Blast Off site).
- Decide what is for breakfast.
- Give out lunch money or pack lunch for tomorrow.
- Look at tomorrow’s schedule for transportation changes.
- Student dresses in the bathroom, parent’s room, or their room – which is best?
- No TV, cartoons or movies while dressing or eating.
- Externalize cues – use a timer or checklist to follow the routine.
Set the schedule with the student
- When must they be out the door?
- Hygiene routine for the morning (Shower? Brush teeth and wash face).
- When do they need to get up to accomplish their routine?