A Springer Timeline
1884 to 1952
1887 – The Springer Institute opens with 600 students in grades 1 through 12, including a class for hearing impaired children.
1944 – Springer Institute becomes a school for children in need of special education.
1952 – Plum Street building razed and school moved to the St. Paul school building at 12th Street and Pendleton in Over-the-Rhine.
1963 – Springer moves to former Immaculata School building on the corner of Guido and Pavilion Streets in Mt. Adams.
1968 – Consultants from University of Cincinnati recommend a focus on students with learning disabilities.
1969 – Admission narrowed to children with average or above average intelligence who have special learning disabilities.
1971 – Springer Educational Foundation established as an independent, unaffiliated nonprofit corporation for children with learning disabilities. Sr. Mary Jean Fields (Sr. Elizabeth Mary Fields during her tenure at Springer) is school’s first Executive Director.
1973 – Springer moves to new location on Summit Road in Roselawn.
1974 – First annual Bike Hike sponsored by Springer Parent Association.
1978 – Sr. Marianne Van Vurst is appointed Executive Director.
1981 – School moves to former Marian Girls High School on our current campus at 2121 Madison Road.
1985 – Dr. Norita Aplin is appointed Executive Director.
1987 – Name is formally changed to The Springer School, and renovations increase building capacity to 198 students.
1988 – Bolan Scholarship established in memory of Peter Bolan, a Springer parent and supporter.
1992 – School earns accreditation from ISACS (Independent Schools Association of the Central States).
1993 – Maureen Wenker Artist in Residence program is established in memory of a Springer parent, volunteer and supporter.
1997 – Norita Aplin Musician in Residence program is established to recognize Dr. Aplin’s 14 years of leadership at Springer.
1997 – Library reopens after remodeling as the Barbara Cassady Frey Library, named in memory of a Springer parent and volunteer.
1999 – The Springer School unveils The Springer Center for Learning Disabilities, with outreach programs to students, teachers and parents affected by learning disabilities.
2000 – School changes name to Springer School and Center and unveils new logo.
2000 - Adventures in Summer Learning, Springer's month-long summer program, enrolls 64 students.
2000 - Springer's Board of Trustees purchases the Holy Angels church and convent, which enlarges the current property to six acres.
2002 – Playground renovated with a grant from the Dater Foundation.
2005 – Springer hosts first Be Our Guest Day, inviting relatives and special friends to visit students at school.
2005 – Center receives C4C (Collaborating for Collaboration) grant, establishing a working relationship with the University of Cincinnati to train area pre-service teachers in learning disabilities.
2007 – A successful $5.2 million capital campaign makes possible renovations to the gym, cafeteria, lobby and front office, along with classroom upgrades, and greatly expands Springer financial aid program.
2008 – Oliver Gale Washington Academy is launched, giving Springer students an opportunity to visit our nation’s capital.
2010 – Springer’s website undergoes complete renovation.
2011 – Springer celebrates its 40th anniversary.
2012 – One-to-One Laptop program launched in Middle School.
2012 – Dr. Russell Barkley brought to Cincinnati through partnership with Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center.
2016 – Springer celebrates its 45th anniversary.